Abortion Pill Information El Paso, Texas
Free & confidential appointment, call or text (915) 249-1344.
Pregnancy & Fatherhood Solutions provides information on the abortion pill in El Paso, Texas. If you are considering abortion in El Paso, your first step is to learn more about your options with a free ultrasound.
Medication abortion (also called the abortion pill, MifeprexTm) is FDA approved for up to 70 days (10 weeks pregnant) after the start of your last menstrual period.
- The “pill” is actually a protocol that involves taking two drugs, mifepristone and misoprostol, which are taken in two separate doses on different days.
- It is not available through a pharmacy, but is only available by an authorized provider.
- The FDA strongly cautions against the use of mifepristone obtained over the Internet.3
- Because of complications, the FDA keeps close track.4
- The abortion pill is not the same as the emergency contraception.
- For women who change their minds after taking just the mifepristone, it may be possible to rescue the pregnancy. For more information on abortion pill reversal in El Paso, Texas: abortionpillreversal.com
HOW IT WORKS The first medication, mifepristone, blocks progesterone. Progesterone is a hormone that is necessary for the pregnancy to survive. Without progesterone, the embryo eventually dies over the next several days. The second medication, misoprostol, causes bleeding and cramping, expelling the embryo and uterine contents.
SIDE EFFECTS Cramping and bleeding are expected. Bleeding lasts an average of 9 to 16 days. Other possible side effects include nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, fever, chills, weakness, dizziness and headache.
COMPLICATIONS In 1% of women, bleeding is so heavy a surgical procedure called a D&C is required to stop the bleeding. Life-threatening infection has occurred in a small number of women who used the abortion pill protocol. Before taking any medication, you should discuss the risks with your doctor and know what to do if complications arise.
FOLLOW-UP It is important to follow-up with your doctor 1 to 2 weeks after taking this medication regime to see if an abortion has occurred and to assess for complications.